This lesson will describe how to select a rate, carrier, create a shipment, and prepare the shipment for dispatch.
1. Run a LTL Rate Quote
Open Rate Quotes
To create a shipment in Miranda TMS, first open the Rate Quotes tab.
Select Customer and Margin
Next, select the Customer that the shipment is for and define the Customer Margin.
- If a default margin is set for the customer and you wish to use the default margin, check "Use Default Customer Margin".
- If a default margin is not set or if you wish to apply a margin different from the customers default margin, check "Use Custom Margin" and enter the desired margin %.
Enter Shipment Zip Codes and Pickup Date
Next, enter the following information for the shipment:
- Origin Zip: The zip code where the shipment will be picked up.
- Destination Zip: The zip code where the shipment will be delivered.
- Pickup: Date the shipment should be picked up.
- Billing: Billing method for the shipment.
- Is Volume Quote: If a volume quote is needed, check the box and enter the Linear Footage.
Enter the Shipment Items
In the Items section, enter the items to be shipped. If a customer was previously selected, you have the option to select an item to add from the customer's history.
Fill out the following information for the items to be shipped:
- Outer Quantity and Packaging
- Inner Quantity and Packaging (optional)
- Total Weight of the shipment
- Hazmat: Check if hazmat item(s)
- Length, Width, and Height of the shipment
- Stackable: Check if can be stacked
- Class: Choose the appropriate class for the shipment
- Cube: Cubic volume of the shipment (optional)
- NMFC: National Motor Freight Classification number (if applicable)
- Sub: Sub-NMFC code (if applicable)
Check the box next to each accessorial that is required for the shipment.
Get Rate Quotes
Click the Get Rate Quotes button to run rate quotes for the lane specified.
2. Select a Rate and Carrier
The quote results will display on the right side of the screen.
- By default, the rate quotes are sorted by price, with lowest to the top. To sort by pickup date, delivery date, or transit time, use the Sort by drop-down menu.
- If you wish to modify the margin, check the Use Custom Margin box and indicate the desired margin %.
- The rate quote displays the Carrier Cost, Margin Amount, and Total Cost for the customer.
- The name of the carrier is displayed.
- Estimated time frame for the shipment and any additional details about the quote are displayed.
Click on the rate to view additional details. Once you have chosen a rate/carrier, click the Create Order button.
3. Add Order Details
On the Details tab, enter the following information:
- Customer Information: The customer will default to the customer selected for the rate quote. If a default rep is selected for the customer, it will populate in the Customer Rep section. (*Note: A default rep can be designated for a customer in the Customers tab). Enter any additional customer information, such as a PO Number or pickup reference number, if desired.
- Financial Information (optional): Enter the value of the items being shipped, how the freight should be billed and any insurance.
- Shipping Information (optional): Enter any additional shipping information as desired.
- Notes & Comments (optional): Enter any comments or special instructions for the shipment.
- Create Order: Click Create Order to proceed.
4. Confirm Items and Add Description
- Click on the Items & Stops tab to confirm the items included in the shipment.
- Review the information previously entered and add a Description for the items.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Next, scroll down to enter the stops for the shipment.
- In the Pickup section, enter the address where the shipment will be picked up. You can use the drop down menu to select a previously stored address or click the + icon to add a new address.
- Select the desired pickup date.
- Enter any special instructions required for the pickup.
- Select any accessorials that are necessary for the pickup.
- Repeat these steps for the Delivery address, special instructions, and accessorials.
- Click Save to save your changes.
5. Confirm Rate and Carrier
Click the Rates tab to review the selected rate and carrier. If you wish to choose a different rate/carrier, click the LTL tab to select a new option.
The rate details will be displayed in the Overview section, which includes the Total Revenue, Total COGS, Gross Profit, and Profit Margin.
6. Customer Approval
Next, you can validate with your customer that the rate is acceptable and prepare the shipment for dispatch. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Using the Status drop-down menu, select Customer Approval Pending.
- Click Save.
- Once you have validated with your customer that the rate is acceptable, use the Status drop-down menu to select Customer Approved.
- Click Save. This will create two new tabs for Shipments and Tracking.
7. Prepare for Dispatch
To prepare the order for dispatch:
- Click on the Shipments tab.
- Select a Carrier Rep to be placed on the BOL.
- BOL: Click Generate to create a BOL. To view the BOL after it has been generated, click View.
Once the BOL has been generated, you can provide the BOL to the customer by using one of the following options:
- Download as PDF: Click to download the BOL as a PDF document. The PDF can then be attached and emailed to the customer.
- Share to Portal: If the customer has Portal enabled, click the Share to Portal button to send the BOL to their customer portal.
Change the status of the order to "Ready to Dispatch" and click Save.
The shipment has now been created and prepared for dispatch.